Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Going Home

Tyler (always the smart one in our family) paid a visit to the billing people at the hospital and found out that the way they bill a hospital stay is to count every midnight that you pass as one day. So, even though I'd been in the hospital a day and a half, they would only bill us for one day if we went home before midnight! I know this will sound weird, because most people can't wait to get out, but I ridiculously love being in the hospital. I love not having to worry about anything and having everyone take care of me for a change. It's probably because I'm completely bed-ridden and because I'm there for a happy reason, though. I'm sure if I felt perfectly normal, or if I were there for something not-so-happy or for a longer time, I'd probably be itching to go home, too.

Random tangent. Sorry. Anyway, even though I was a little sad to leave already, we decided it was pointless to sleep there one more night and be charged for two days, when we could just go home that evening and save at least $2,000. (I can't believe how much these things cost!!!) We let the nurse know when we would be ready to check out, had my prescriptions brought over, ate dinner together, and waited to be checked out. And we waited. And we waited some more. Finally, a long time after we'd wanted to check out, the nurse came in and apologized and explained that right about the time we should have been checking out, someone rushed their car into the parking lot and had a baby. In the car. In the parking lot. Apparently, the baby came too fast and they didn't have time to even walk the ten steps to get to the emergency room! (Now I'm terrified that something like that will happen to me someday...) All the nurses were down taking care of the baby and the mom, and helping the dad clean up the car. So that is the story of why we didn't get to go home until almost midnight!

Once we were finally checked out, paperwork-wise, I changed and got myself ready, while Tyler got Tristan changed and took a few pictures. He looked so tiny and adorable in his first outfit!



Once he was strapped in his car seat, he seemed like he might almost be smiling and happy to go home with us. (Although I'm sure it was just gas...)


The nurse came to wheel me down to the car, and just like that our hospital stay was over. We headed back to real life, but this time as a family of four. Thank you, thank you, thank you to such a great hospital and staff! We'll definitely be seeing you again someday.

No comments: