Sunday, May 2, 2010

Kyle's Missionary Pictures (aka: Alycia in Action)

Kyle is 19, and he is going on a mission. In July he will leave for Nicaragua. It will be awesome, because now he, Royce, and I will all have served in Spanish speaking countries, but they'll all be different. It's been fun to see how Royce's mission is so similar and still so different from mine, and it will be interesting to see how it compares with Kyle's, too. And I wonder what kind of accent he'll have. Anyway, since this was the last time Alycia would see him before he left, she took him out to take some missionary pictures. And I was invited! I got to be the reflector holder. Never done that before, and I'm afraid I didn't know what I was doing and therefore didn't help a whole lot. But, hey, I tried! :) I brought my camera too, so that I could observe and learn from the master photographer, and also just to experiment. It was fun! I've never gotten out to take pictures in the evening, and Alycia said it's the best light. I liked it--it made everything so golden and warm. I tried lots of new things I've never tried before, like sun flare and sillouhettes and landscape pictures. For a first attempt I was pretty happy!



I can't believe what a beautiful place it was. Alycia had one place in mind, but Kyle said he knew a perfect spot, and boy was he right! It was the most gorgeous spot, right on the Jordan river! And the best part is, our new house is like ten minutes away from it! I can't believe I get to live somewhere so pretty.

Anyway, on to Kyle. I wish I had noticed before, but something was weird with my autofocus, so things are blurry on a lot of pictures. (Insert sigh here.) And, yes, of course it was the autofocus' fault and not operator error...




He's looking very thoughtful.



The master at work.





I seriously loved all the cool weeds by the river. They were like a cross between cattails and peacock feathers! I've never seen them before. And they were like 8 feet tall, so it was really cool to go walking through them.






Sillouhette attempt #1.

I particularly enjoy this picture. Kyle was making a face at me, and the wind blew just enough to cover it with the weed. Ha ha.



Kyle, resting his eyes. Poor guy had the sun blaring in them for most of the shoot.

His seat didn't look too comfortable, either...

Aww. Sister and brother.

And how come Alycia can still look lovely when she's laying in mud and weeds??? (Insert another sigh here.)

Sillouhette attempt #2.

Would've been cool if it weren't for that darned autofocus...



I have a feeling Kyle's going to make a great missionary.

And then the sun went behind the mountains, and it was time to go home.




But not before snapping the pretty pear blossoms on Becky's tree!


I can't wait to see what Alycia's pictures are like! They're sure to be amazing!

1 comment:

Alycia said...

aww, thanks Mara. :) You're pictures all turned out very pretty, I want copies of all of them! I've only edited a few of mine so far so hopefully they turn out. ;) One tip on autofocus in a back lit situation. The camera can't see so it doesn't know where to focus it helps to shade the top of the camera with your hand or a reflector (which I should have done). I'm still working on that one and had the same issue for a lot of mine too. :( I thought I would at least share the information even though I haven't mastered it quite yet...