Friday, October 30, 2009

Family Vacation! (Part 1)

Last weekend we took a little mini vacation--Ashton's second roadtrip! My most amazing husband found out about something exciting happening down in Phoenix, AZ, so he got tickets as a surprise and we packed up and went. My wonderful mother also came down to travel with us. It was just a quick weekend trip, but it ended up being full of fun things.

Thursday after my mom arrived and after Tyler got off work, we set off. We drove down to Page, AZ (about 5 hours) and stayed in a hotel for the night. For hours before we got there, it was dark, so we had no idea that the scenery had changed so much, and that we were right next to Lake Powell. The next morning when we woke up, we were surprised to look out the window to find this view:


Where did all the trees go???


That whole day driving through Arizona was the most beautiful drive we've ever been on. They have a lot of pretty landscapes down there! After a couple of hours we took a little break and detoured to the Grand Canyon. It was SOOO BIG!!! I always knew that, but it was still bigger than I ever imagined.



The pictures don't even begin to do it justice. I was kind of scared. I kept feeling like I was going to get sucked in!


None of us had ever seen it before, so it was quite exciting. How lucky that Ashton got to see it so soon in his little life.



At one of the viewpoints there was this cool tower built almost 100 years ago (by a woman!) and you could go to the top of it to look over the canyon.


We tried to get Ashton to look at the canyon, but all he was interested in was the rock wall of the tower!


Finally, later on, we got him to look at the actual canyon. I'm not too sure he was all that impressed...



Once Ashton decided he'd had enough, our bellies were hungry. So we called it a day at the Grand Canyon, found some lunch, and drove on to Phoenix!


(To be continued...)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I still can't believe how big he is! Him and Christian are almost the same size!! I can't wait til
Christmas when they can play together again!!....and so I can see you Mara hahaha