Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Toys!

One day, a little while after I noticed that Ashton discovered his hands, I decided to hand him a toy and see what he did with it. Up until this point, he would sit in his bouncy chair and stare at the toys, but that's all. So I handed him a bright, soft, rattle toy. He just sat there looking at it for awhile.


Then, very slowly, he brought it up and tried to put it in his mouth.


Unfortunately, he didn't have the best hand-eye-mouth coordination, and it kept slipping to the side.


It didn't take too long before he just got frustrated that he couldn't get it in his mouth where he wanted it, and he was done with trying. Later on that same day, he was laying on the floor and started swinging his arms. So I decided to see what would happen if I dangled some toys over his head. It was great! He started batting at them and getting really excited and kicking his legs...it was so funny that I had to take a little video of the moment:



Ever since then, he has loved his toys, and his coordination is getting much better. Here's a video from three days ago. We were at the store and he was chomping on his toy like there was no tomorrow! I'm glad he's learning how to entertain himself a little bit more...it makes things more fun for him AND for us!

No comments: